Piešťany is a town known for its unique natural resources, the sulphurous water of temperature reaching almost 70ºC and healing peloid which restores health patients with rheumatic diseases. The first records of the town, at that time called Pescan, come from the year 1113. However, there are very few sights to remind us of the town's existence between the years 1113 and 1813, as the apocalyptic flood destroyed almost all buildings. The only remaining one is a mediaeval sacral ruin from the 14th century. Most of the buildings after 1813 are of classicistic, romantic, art noveau puristic and functionalist, or post-war styles, and many of them have been formally recognised as listed cultural sights, either by the state or internationally. Apart from these architectural jewels, there are also splendid sculptures, fountains, sepulchral sights, parks and botanical solitaires in the town.
Ruin of Sacral Object
(Detvianska Street 9)
This only evidence ("in situ") of building activities in mediaeval Piešťany comes from the 16th century. The first written record of its existence is visiting record from 1560. The gothic temple, presumably a part of the building complex (it could have been Johannit's monastery), was damaged in 1813 and since then all efforts for its renovation have failed. Its only remains are the ruined walls of unusual double abscissa presbytery closure. They can be found in a council estate of the town. The archaeological explorations on this field have discovered the proofs of a perished cemetery and other valuable findings.
Slovak Healing Spa Headquarters
(Winterova Street 29)
A listed cultural sight. This oldest functional building in the town (originally called the Inn for Nobles) was first recorded in 1806, by the copper engraver J. Fischer. The building is considered to be the same object that Adam Trajan from Benešov commemorated "...as a big house giving comfortable habitation to noble magnates only..." in his poem "Saluberrimae Pistinienses Thermae" from 1642. The current eclectic shape of the building, with classicistic and renaissance substance, is the result of several reconstruction, performed either by noted, or unknown architects. The first change was from inn to spa hotel and then to the current administrative building of the Slovak Healing Spa Headquarters, with shops on the grund floor.
(Spa Island 12,10, 8)
A listed cultural sight. The urban complex of three classicistic spa building, situated above the springs, was completed to its current shape between the years 1821 and 1862. The remains of older baths (damaged by the flood in 1813) are hidden in the mirror and baths building N-1 (no. 12), which is considered to have the richest architectural forms. The part of the functional complex of pools in the object N-III (no. 8) has still the shape which it gained by renovation after the flood. The small trapezisquare, circumscribed by the buildingsw N-I, N-II, N-III, has space features with an effect of perspective illusion. The beginnings of the current Napoleon Spa might have been dated back to the time of the Napoleon Empire, however, its name does not relate to any of three known Napoleons. It was just an excellent marketing trick.
St. Stephen the King´s Roman Catholic Parish Church
(Štefánikova Street 138)
A listed cultural sight. The classicistic church, where worships have been held since 1831. It was built at the place of an older church, in old part of Piešťany, and it took over its patrocinium. A longitudinal, not very segmented shape of the church is pointed with a tower that slightly arises from the western richly decorated facade. The three severies of the nave and the presbytery (with a shallow oval closure) are supported by the Prussian arches, decorated by the local church painters, F. Pap and E. Petrovič. The altarpiece apotheosizing the patron of the church was painted in 1831 by the painter Ziegler. The window-panes were designed 120 years later by the painter Janko Alexy. Testimonies of the church´s beginning are words and a chronogram chiselled in Latin on the period marble plaque. The plaque is placed in the church´s antechapel. Unfortunately, there is no record of an architect. The votive stone sculptures statues, sculptures and crosses situated around the church are dated to the years between 1760 and 1927. Most of them were created by anonymous folk artists and originally placed along the roads, bridges, houses, or memorial places. Only later they were removed to the vicinity of the church. The statues of St. Vendelin and Florian (the oldest from eight artefacts were formally recognised as listed cultural sights).
A listed cultural sight. The sandstone pillory was made around the year 1830 and after it had been removed from its original location, it was placed in front of the District Court building sometimes in the years 1929 nad 1930. This functional, classicistic "penitentiary" is a formation of basic geometrical shapes, vertically aligned, with a square base (prism, pyramid) and a sphere. The front part of the pillory bears the inscription: "Nevolám žádného, prímam každého" (I call nobody, receive anybody). Delinquents were lashed to it with fetters around their feet and waists.
Roman Catholic Church School
(Štefánikova Street 119)
The one of the most significant examples of eclecticism in Piešťany. Originally it was a classicistic Town Hall building, rebuilt for the District Court´s needs in the middle of the 20´s of the 20th century. The building´s conversion was designed by the Piešťany architect R. Scheibner, currently living in Berlin. The next renovations (the last one changed it to school) have not influenced an exterior look of the building. Apair of the Scheibner´s Doric columns, at the main building´s portal, is the only example of such an architectural use of columns in Piešťany.
Military Spa Institute
(Teplická Street 81)
The Spa doctor F.E. Scherer initiated construction of the institute accroding to an anonymous project in 1863. Since its beginnings the institute has been used for accomodation, catering, and spa treatment of army members. The original historical building was constructed in the middle of a large field, so its capacity could have been later extended. The solitaire villa Izabella was built in the years 1908 and 1909. The institute extended its services by balneotherapy, including pools, between the end of the 20th and the beginning of the 21st century. Since then the Military Spa Institute stopped being dependant on the services of balneotherapeutic institutions from the Spa Island.
(Beethovenova Street 5)
A listed cultural sight. This patulous, solitaire building is situated at the end of the Town Park, where it has stood since 1894. It was built according to a design by I. Alpár (known as a representative of eclecticism) and despite its later renovations it still keeps most of its original decor. The centre of the composition is a monumental, plastic, and richly decorated courtyard - "lounge"-the so called: Kursalón, the name was derived from the word "lounge". Since 1928 a part of the building has been used for expositions of the Balneological Museum. The axpositions are sig nificant archaeological findings, valuable etnographic material, documents about the history of the spa and baneology in Slovakia, and special section of the museum is dedicated to expositions related to M.R. Štefanik.
(Winterova Street 70)
The haiftimbered building of an anonymous architect. It is notable for its romantic, the so called "spa" style from the last decade of the 19th century. The villa is a reflection oh building works on the picturesque (romantic style) old King row. The charming bay on the main facade is the oldest one remained in Piešťany. The villa was reconstructed and made functional again by the end of the 20th.
(Winterova Street 74)
This modest, one-nave neogothic sacral object was designet by an anonymous architect and built in 1897. It substituted a demolished baroque chapel of St. Jan Nepomucky situated in the neighbourhood of the former Inn for Nobles. The chapel was consecrated to the Divine heart of Jesus. The furniture in the chapel's eclectic interior is from the last quarter of the 20th century.
(Winterova Street 5, Beethovenova Street)
The romantic and historical look of the builting is a result of the reconstruction and extension of the original, classicistic villa Tüköry on Beethovenova street (dated to the 20th century). The reconstruction, which also made the hotel accessible from Winterova street, was performed in the beginning of the 20th century and it was designed by the architect A. Oberländer. The towers, bay, battlement and plastic decor gave the building a look of an English neogothic castle. The hotel has been visited by many important guests, for example byLadislav Mňaček, who worked in the hotel (at that time called Victoria Regia) on his book about Adolf Eichmann.
(Winterova Street 19)
This object has almost a palatial exterior. It was built in the first half of the first decade of the 20th century when the two adjacent civic houses (from the first quarter of the 19th century) were reconstructed and joined together. The eclectic renovation of the building's facade, with flashing marks of Art noveau, is said to be designed by the tandem H. Böhm A. Hegedüs and their atchitectonic office. The building has been used as a residence of the spa director and lessee of the spa, as a hotel, and currently it is used for therapeutic purposes. The memorial plaque on the building's facade is dedicated to the merited lessee of the spa, L. Winter (1870 - 1968).
Evangelic Chutch Tree
(Pod Párovcami 1)
This one-nave, neogothic church was built in 1905 according to the project of J. Kratky.There are three severies in the church's austere nave (supported by the cross arch) and a flat closure. The presbytery is a part of the nave. The beginnings of the church (building works and furnisching lasted five months) are described in a detailed report, written bz the main protagonist of these doings, E. Köhler. The report was published in Budapest in 1909.
Therapeutic House Slovan
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť 82)
A listed cultural sight. The therapeutic house, originalty a functional hotel called Grand Hotel Royal, was designed by the architect A. Oberländer and built in 1906. It was the first grand hotel building in Piešťany with a capacity of 160 beds, dimensional dining and social rooms ,terraces, andother necessary interior places. The grandiosely decorated hall was either used as a concert auditorium,or it served as a place for many international conferences and other important events. The building's exterior is embellished with arcades, balconies with decorative rails, bays, dormers, a small roof tower, and other shapes. This indicates an author's passion for designing of support element (pillar) to the centre line of holes. The object was closed in 1986 and since then no decision on its renovation has been taken.
Municipal Diesel Power Plant
(Staničná Street 51)
A listed cultural sight. The power plant (designed by an anonymous architect) was put into service in 1906. Its characteristic exterior feature is a brick and unbleached wall. The unigue face brick features were used for plastic decoration of the facades, where mostly the cornices offer a lively patern of various compositions such as, tooth ornaments, multiform just, or other decorations. The large hall with a gallery is an exellent interior plase equipped with sophisticated machinery. The power plant (which already completed its original mission) is an important technical sight, currently used for cultural purposes.
Spa Complex Thermia Palace Irma
(Spa Island 2, 4)
A listed culturalsight. The spa hotel Thermia Palace and the balneotherapeutic building Irma, which form a united building complex, were constructed between the years 1910 and 1912 to design by the architects H. Böhm and A. Hegedüs. Their art noveau decoration is work of several designers and artificers of various specializations. The greatest merit in success of the spa complex had A.S. Kovács the reputable static expert who designed the proper grouding of the object Irma in the environment of aggressive natural mud and counted the 21m double-layer cupola spanning over the mud area. The buildings form a functional and very sophisticated unit, which provides all of the required balneotherapeutic, physiotherapeutic, accommodation and catering services, or other servicessuch as, organisation of cultural events. This complex, including the parks in front of and behind the palace Thermia, is still considered to be the so called "flag-ship" of the Piešťany art noveau phenomena, despite the thoughtless "modernization" of Thermia, interior in the 60's of the 20th century and later intervention into the park composition. The statues of ancient deities Chloris (Flora), Demeter (Ceres), Hermes (Merkur) and Pallas Athena (Minerva), situated in the park in front of the palace Thermia, were created by an unknown classical sculptor in 1803. They were moved to Piešťany in 1942 from the castle in Kráľová pri Senci. The bust of the Hungarian queen Elisabeth situated on the facade of the Irma (in the niche of the left wall projection), is work of the sculptor G. Jankovics. Between the years 1902 and 1918, the bust used to stand nearby the Headquarters of the Spa at the place of a demolished baroque chapel of St. Jan Nepomucky.
(Winterova Street 16)
A listed cultural sight. The hotel was built in 1912 to a design by the architects H. Böhm and A. Hegedüs. It is an art noveau, four-storey building, with the two tower wall projections (jutting one-storey up) designed as a corner house and situated between Winterova and Rázusova streets. The building's composition allows us to capture a vista of the two adjacent streets. Unfortunately,currently the hotel is an uncared and devastated cultural sight.
(Winterova Street 41)
Originally it was built as a sanatorium, currently it serves as headquarters of Piešťany hospital and a blood-transfusion centre. The modest marble plaque on the building's norts-eastern facade says it was built in 1912 to a design by the architects H. Böhm and A. Hegedüs. Stone, concrete,bricks, plaster, glass, wood and metal are materials used on the building's facades. The style of its exterieor indicates transition from Art noveau to individualistic modernism.
Elementary Art School
(Teplická Street 50)
A listed cultural sight. The Elementary Art School, formerly called Sancta Maria, was first a nunnery founded around the first quarter of the 20th century. It was designed by an unknown architect whose inspiration in at that time still living Romanticism and attractive art noveau styles is obvious at first sight.
Balneotherapeutic Facility Pro Patria
(Spa Island 18) A listed cultural sight. This symmetric fan-composition, situated around the central balneotherapeutic facilities, cornes from the Great War year 1916. Chronologically, it was the last work of the arichitects H. Böhm and A. Hegedüs in Piešťany, and it originally served as a hospital for the treatment of wounded soldiers. After a few decades it was coverted into the current complex (balneotherapeutic accommodation and catering) spa-treatment facility for severely ill civil patients. The puristic wing of an incomplete hotel Cyril's Court (designet by F. Wimmer and A. Szönyi) was added to the facility in 1928. The wing was used as a residence of the Research Institute of Rheumatic Diseases for a few years.
(Partizánska / Vrbovská Streets)
This large industrial building, which used to be equipped with the most modern machinery, was built to a design by A. Bachrach and A. Harsányi during the Great War, between the years 1917 and 1918. Currently it is the only functional continuator of a long mill-industry tradition in Piešťany.
Building of the Spa Commission
(Pribinova Street 2)
The buildig was constructed to a design be the architect S.Bresciani, currently living in Piešťany, between the years 1924 and 1925. Later it was rebuilt to a design by the architectonic office J. Merganc O. Klimeš. The plaque set on the building's facade states the author's names, the building's construction. The eclectic look of the main face of the building indicates, in many features, the 50 years younger postmodernism. It is said the bon vivant author of the architectural design lived for a white at the court of Hailé Selassie in Addis Abebe.
Secondary - Grammar School
(SNP Square 9)
Originally Masaryk's Civic School the first building situated at the edge of the new, central square (previously called Comenius Square). It was built in 1926 according to a design by the Neo-Renaissance architect L. Skřivánek. Among the architect's means of expression was also the sgraffito rusticwork applied on all facades of the building. The building was a stepping stone for urban unification (which gave the square its current city look) of a mother agricultural village, the so called "old" part of Piešťany with an isolated, at that time build-up area of the spa settlement Teplice.
Hospital of Alexander Winter
(Winterova Street 68, 66)
It was founded after the Second World War, when the Special Sanatoria of Dr. Schmidt and Dr. Weisz (No. 68) together whit Dr. Brežný's Palace Sanatorium (No. 66) were united into the one hospital facility.The Special Sanatorium was establisched in the years 1925 and 1926, after the reconstruction of a romantic boarding house from the 19th century, according to a design by the avant-garde architect Pavol Weisz, the native of Piešťany. The Palace sanatorium was built at the place of an older demolished house in the years 1929 and 1930 to a desingn by J. Merganc and O. Klimeš. Although the modifications related to the establishment and operation of the hospital (the last ones occurred in the beginning of the 21st century) character of the Special sanatorium's facades, they damaged exemplary functionalistic facades of the Sanatorium of Dr. Brežny. The interior's representativeness from the period between the World Wars disappeared when the large rooms were divided.
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť, 24)
The boarding house of a very modern expression was built between the world wars , in 1927 (according to a design by the architect A. Statinsky), and it belongs to the architect's most mature works. The house provides its client with accommodation, there are several business rooms a doctor's surgery(also for out-patients) and a flat for the owner \ doctor in there. The building's exterior is remarkable for its superior unbleached walling.
Complex of Six Boarding Houses: Berlin (Dr. Cmunt), Anna, Erna, Paula, Lívia, Riviera
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť, 11, 43, 45, 76, 78, 80)
The complex was built at the end of the 1920s, between the years 1927 and 1930, according to designs by S. Bresciani (Dr. Cmunt), F. Weinwurm and A. Szönyi (Anna, Riviera), G. Gerenday (Erna), A. Slatinský (Paula), and Weinwurm and Vécsei (Lívia). Due to its attractive location, the complex gained a reputation as a plain-air exposition of architecture from the period between the World Wars. The houses that are adjacent to the park were built according to the traditional architecture of that time, however, the group of three building on the embankment already captured the spirit of coming functionalism.
Boarding Houses Hron und Klára
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť 26, 28)
Both houses were designet by the architect A. Leitersdorf.Hron, originally named Dr. Müller, was built in 1927 and Klára (or Clara) in 1928. After the Second World War, Hron served as a sanatorium and later it was changed into a boarding house. Klara serves as a health centre. The buildings have several symbols of the avant-garde architecture of that time.
This ferroconcrete water-tower was built in 1928 by the company Pittel and Brausewetter. It belongs to expositions of the functionalistic technical architecture.
Hotel Complex Jalta (Excelsior) Eden
(Winterova Street 58, 60)
The complex was proposed for a nomination into the World List of Modern Movement Sights. These two neighbouring functionalistic buildings were built in the years 1920 and1930 by two construction firms, according to designs by the architect P. Weisz, the native of Piešťany. The progressive style concept of the buildings allowed changing Eden (originally sanatorium) into hotel and Excelsior (originally hotel) into sanatorium. The new owners removed some original symbols of the complex, mostly the roof gardens.
Post and Telegraph Office
(Kukučinova Street 15)
This two-storey building situated at the junction of streets in the town centre was built between the years 1929 and 1931, according to designs by Emil Belluš. The architect also designed an original mobiliari (stil in its use) in the building of architecture between the World Wars. There is an author's bust (by the sculptor A. Trizuljak) on the ground floor, on the front wall of the hall, which was revealed during the celebration ofthe autor's 100th birth anniversary.
A listed cultural sight. This road bridge made of reinforced concrete consists of seven units: the hanging unit has the span of 52m, the others 29m. The continuous plate that carries the road is hung on the side ferroconcrete arcs (in the wider field) and supported by the bottom arched panels (in the narrower fields). The bridge is a work of the team J. Činčera I. Grebnik and it was constructed in the years 1930 and 1931. It belonged to the most daring bridge constructions of that time in former Czechoslovakia. The bridge was damaged during the Second World War and after its reconstruction it was supplemented with a water-gate for water level stabilization of the warm branch of Váh. In the last quarter of the 20th century, there was added a steel foot-bridge to the countercurrent side of the Country Bridge snd its hanging construction was strengthened with the ateel ropes.
Promenade Spa Bridge
(Winterova Street 72)
A listed cultural sight, proposed for a nomination into the World List of Modern Movement Sights. This promenade bridge made of reinforced concrete (also called the Colonnade or Glass Bridge) was built between the years 1931 and 1933 to a design by the architect E. Belluš. There are several small shops (inserted into the bridge units on both river banks) and two windowpanes (made to a design by the painter M. Benka) situated in the middle of the glass partition separating both covered promenades that increase the bridge's attractiveness. Another attraction of the bridge is the Kühmayer's bronze statue of a crutchbreaker situated above the fountain in front of the portal object (the town bridge-head). In the past there was a plan to build a bank colonnade on the Spa Island which would have met the covered promenades (therefore, the 'Colonnade' bridge), however, the project has never been realised. At the end of the Second World War, the retreated German Nazi Army blew up the midle bridge units. The bridge's renovation to its original functionalistic look lasted until 1956.
Eva Thermal Swimming Pool
(Spa Island 9)
A listed cultural sight. The facility consists of a 25-metre covered swimming pool, a 50-metre open air swimming pool with diving tower, a children's open air swimming pool a steward's flat, facilities and sunbathing and sporting areas. It was built to a design of the architects F. Wimmer, A. Szőnyi and V. Kolátor between the years 1933 and 1934. The swimming pool has been renovated for several times and there was a new entrance object added to it in the last quarter of the 20th century.
(Vajanského Street 35)
This school (originally called after M.R.Štefanik) was built in 1938 to a design of the architect F.Bednárik. It is the only example of the so called "color" functionalism in the town and the last completed construction before the separation of Czechoslovakia and the outbreak of the Second World War.
Torso of Garden District Floreat
(Ivan Krasko's Embankment and an esstern part of Nálepkova Street - between the hotel Magnólia and the parking place).
The district's planning scheme was designed by the architects F. Wimmer and S. Szőmyi, the individual family houses by J. Konrad, J. Pelnář and P. Weisz. There were only 10 objects completed between the beginning of the construction in 1936 and the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. After the war, the costruction was stopped. Among the significant residents of the unaccomplished Floreat was the famous writen Ivan Krasko (1876, 1958) whose flat, situated on the embankment, has remained in its use a museum.
Block of Houses Stred
(Winterova, Kalinčiakova, Royova, Kukučínova Streets)
This block of 280 residential units, with a colonnade and shops, was built between the years 1958 and 1962 to a design of the architect M. Šavlík. The building plots were acquired by sanitation of older build-up areas in Winterova and adjacent streets. Its city look and human symbols made it one of the most magnificent post war constructions built in Piešťany after the Second World War.
House of Arts
(Ivan Krasko's embankment)
It is the first extra-Bratislava functional building with a theatre built after the Second World War (between the years 1974 and 1979 / in its use from 1980) according to a desing by the architect F. Milučký. The architect said he had been inspired by historical and folk architecture and his work is an example of exterior and interior unity. The architectural expression is captured by fair-face concrete, glass, and red (movable or fixed) areas and shapes. The auditorium was designed for 625 and the small hall for 80 viewers.
(Spa Islad 26, 34, 32, 30, 13)
The complex with a capacity of 1280 beds provides full accommodation, catering, balneotherapeutic, physiotherapeutic, cultural, or other services required by the spa clientele. It was built in the central part of the Spa Island (between the years 1965 and 1981) in accordance with the spa development concept. The construction began with the sanatorium Palace (built to a design by the architects V. Uhliarik and A. Plačko), continued with the sanatoria Grand and Splendid (built to a design by the architects V. Uhliarik and J. Schuster in the years 1970 - 1971) and the sanatorium Esplanade (designed by the architects V. Uhliarik and Ch. Tursunov and built in the years 1979 - 1980). The last object Community Centre (designed by J. Schuster) was completed in 1981. The complex can be used annually as all of its functional components are interconnected. Its architecture is an example of neo-functionalism.
Jesus Christ the King’s Chapel
The inspiration for a design of this local Roman Catholic chapel comes from the shapes of traditional folk farm buildings. It was built in 1997 (to a design by the architect Ľ.Mrňa) in an isolated town suburb (after 1974 an independent municipality) - Kocurice. The chapel's painting decorations were made by L.Sulík, its mobiliari by A.Imrich, and Ľ.Šimík did the carving works. The chapel stands in the graveyard, famos for its about one hundred years old gravestones.
Old Jewish Cemetery
The beginnings of the cemetery are not clear. It is only known the oldest identified gravestones are from the first half of the 19th century (the non-identifed ones could be older). Most of the gravestones are richly decorated and come from the prominent stone-cutter's workschops. Their apitaphs are mainly chiselled in Hebrew. There were many merited Piešťany residents (or their whole families) buried in this cemetery; the most famous religious figure was Koloman Weber }Chief Rabbi and Chairman of the Central Office of the Autonomous Orthodox Jewish Community of Slovakia and Ruthenia).
The oldest gravestones, located on this so called old, originally Roman Catholic Cemetery (still in its use), come from the 19th century. The central stone cross is from the year 1864 and the cross placed near the road, next to the cemetery, is from 1779. Among the gravestones there are several double, the so called wedlock gravestones. They were commonly used, during the last two centuries, in the region that stretches in a narrow strip between Piešťany and Trnava. The outstanding personality, the native of Piešťany, sculptor V.Vavro (*1911) was buried in this cemetery in 1992.
It was opened in the 1930s. The architects of the cemetery (F.Wimmer and A.Szőnyi) designed its sectors, ceremonial and service places and determined the rules of separate burials for worshippers of the Protestant, Catholic and Jewish churches. The um field (designed by A.Staškova) was opened in the 1980s. Besides the graves of the Military Spa Institution founder, Dr. F.E.Scherer (1805-1879) and the fouder of the Research Institute of Rheumatic Diseases, prof. Š.Siťaj (1911-1990), there are also remains and gravestones of other notable people in this cemetery. They were moved to it from the closed graveyards for example, the 17 gravestones in the Jewish sector were saved from a perished cemetery in rhe village Banka. The grave of F.Goldstein was recognised as a listed cultural sight.
Stone Cross with the Base
The work of a folk baroque artist. opened in the 1930s. There is an inscription and the dating 1783 carved on the base.
Column of the St. Trinity
This votive Trinity column with a sign, made by a folk artist, is dated to year 1883.
Memorial of Ludwig van Beethoven
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť)
A listed cultural sight. The monument was built by the academic sculptor L. Ľ. Pollak in 1939. The initiative for its realisation was an assumption that Beethoven had visited Piešťany during his stay in the nearby village Dolná Krupá.
Memorial of Fallen Romanian Soldiers
A listed cultural sight. The work of the Romanian architect E. Ciuca remembers us of the great share that the Romanian army had in the liberation of Piešťany, in April 1945. The memorial was unveiled in the same year.
Memorial of Adam Trajan from Benešov
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť)
A listed cultural sight. The work of the sculptor L.Ľ. Pollák, unveiled in 1948 to memorialise Adam Trajan from Benešov who had commemorated the healing Piešťany springs in his poem "Saluberrimae Pistinienses" from 1642. The central thermal spring on the Spa Island and a suburb in the town were later called after him.
Bronze Sculptural Group “Lovers”
(Orchard of Andrej Kmeť)
The sculptor A. Trizuljak made this statue as a monument of the first plain-air exhibition of plastics in the Piešťany parks, in 1962.
Bust of Ivan Stodola
(SNP Square 5)
The work of the sculptor V.Vavro. In 1992, the bust was placed on the house of Ivan Stodola in which this doctor, writer and dramatist lived during the last years of his live.